Outline: The Treasurer will provide sound financial administration, support and information to the Executive Committee and Group, District or County/Area/Region in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
Responsible to: The relevant Scout Council.
Appointment requirements: Requirements: Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association’s policies).
It’s expected that whilst volunteering for this role you will undertake regulated activity.
The Responsibilities of the Treasurer:
- Manage and monitor the financial activities of the Group and its Sections, District or County/Area/Region and Executive Committee.
- Act as Treasurer for the relevant Scout Council.
- Prepare and present financial reports and accounts to the Executive Committee.
- Leading the Executive Committee in the creation of budgets and financial planning and monitoring of these.
- Ensuring that all financial reports, annual statements of account and supporting documents (including receipts, cheque books and bank statements) are maintained accurately and in accordance with legal regulations.
- Ensuring that the Group, District or County/Area/Region is financially able to function, has appropriate reserves and accounting procedures and controls in place.
- Prepare the Annual Statement of Accounts for independent examination and approval by the Executive Committee and presenting these at the Annual General Meeting.
- Administering the process of Independent Examination of the Annual Statement of Accounts in accordance with Policy, Organisation and Rules.
- Membership and attendance of any finance working groups or sub-Committees set by the Executive Committee where appropriate.
General Executive Committee Responsibilities:
- To be a full and active participant in Executive Committee meetings and activities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of a Executive Committee as outlined in The Scout Association’s Policy Organisation and Rules.
- Willingness and eligibility to act as a Charity Trustee for the Group, District or County/Area/Region.*
- Contribute to the strategic aims and future development of the Group, District or County/Area/Region.
- An understanding of their own role and the role of others on the Executive Committee.
- A commitment to understanding and forming opinions on the key discussion points and responsibilities of the Executive Committee.
- Willingness to complete various tasks which support the work of the Executive Committee and aims of the Group, District or County/Area/Region.
Skills for a Treasurer:
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Able to think creatively and solve problems
- Previous experience of financial management or the role of a Charity Treasurer
- Able to analyse financial information effectively
- Good IT skills
- Ability to summarise financial information for different audiences
- Willing to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of others.
- Able to maintain independent and objective judgement
Note: any other tasks are to be agreed with the Line Manager.